I am a senior software engineer with 11+ years experience creating highly performant and usable products, websites, desktop applications, and browser extensions.
- Website Performance Optimisation.
- Databases (Firebase and Postgres).
- Serverless functions with custom API routes.
- Gatsby, Next.js, Eleventy, and WordPress.
- Modular components with showcasing with and documentation with Storybook.
- Electron and Browser Extension development.
- Web app development with Next.js, GraphQL and Typescript.
- Creation of component library with Storybook to showcase and document.
- Break down problems into solutions and solutions into tasks, creating prototypes when required.
- Desktop Application and Browser Extension development.
- Optimise Performance of each of our sites and products and automate testing and CI for each deployment.
- I created custom performant WordPress and Expression Engine sites.
- I hand-crafted a node tool to benchmark and monitor Business Sites using the Web Page Test API and display with React.
- Perform performance audits and carry out improvements on business and society sites.
- Creating new components and pages using React/Relay and Less from Photoshop designs.
- Implementing Webpack into the development process to allow for code modularity, linting, and writing future JS (ES2015) code with Babel.
- Applying BEM code methodology for new CSS components.
- I created highly customised WordPress sites from Photoshop designs, with custom post-types, taxonomies, meta boxes, shortcodes and functions.
- The sites were performant, using best practices and technologies, built within budget and in timeframes.
- Pre-launch client training, dealing with any client feedback via Basecamp or telephone.
- I built highly accessible websites for clients including HSBC, RBS and Grant Thornton.
- Using CMSs such as WordPress, CQ5 and Sitecore to allow the client to control all content on their site.
- Knowledge Sharing through weekly masterclass sessions (I ran three : WordPress; CSS3; and Sass).
Here are a selection of the sites, app and browser extension that I have made:
- TrueNorth - a marketing web app using NextJS, Typescript, GraphQL, Apollo, Prisma, with a Material-UI based component library.
- MergeCoin a proof of concept Github based team productivity app that incentivizes and rewards PR code and reviews. Tailwind, NextJS, Github API.
- Serene App – Productivity Application for MacOS users using Electron, Firebase, and React. With companion Chrome Extension
- brokernotes.co – a WordPress-based Progressive Web App with custom features with React, the WordPress Rest API and WordPress.
- photocrowd.com – front-end development with React/Relay, Less, and webpack
- allistergodfrey.com – custom responsive WordPress site with many interactive features, galleries, and css transitions
- ojwmanagement.com – single page responsive WordPress site with flexbox, responsive images, and SVG
- blog.oup.com – responsive WordPress blog for Oxford University Press
- MChem (hons) Chemistry – University of Manchester
- Mountain Biking
- Internet of Things