I am a front-end developer with 9 years product and agency experience looking take the next step in my career. I am passionate about website performance, learning and applying new technologies in projects.
- Browser Extension
- SSGs including Gatsby, Next.js, Eleventy
- BEM CSS with pre-processors (Sass/Less/PostCSS)
- Build tools: Webpack, Gulp and npm
- Cross browser and device debugging
- Git / continuous deployment
- User Experience, Usability, and Accessibility
- Project management, training and customer support
- WordPress development (bespoke theme, plugin and functionality)
Venture Harbour – Front-end Developer – 10/2017 – Present
- Desktop Application and Chrome Extension development with React, nodejs, web sockets, and Firebase.
- Beautiful Styling with CSS-in-JS (styled-jsx and styled components) and scss.
- Created PWA for both https://www.ventureharbour.com and https://brokernotes.co
- Work across multiple projects in 6-week cycles, demoing work to team in regular weekly meetings, with daily standup and excellent communication via Slack, Hangouts and documentation in Notion.
- Optimise Performance of each of our sites and products and automate testing and CI for each deployment.
- 6-weekly internal conference presentations on advanced CSS and web components.
Taylor & Francis – Web Developer – 10/2016 – 09/2017
- Create custom performant WordPress and Expression Engine sites conforming to latest Accessibility and Web Standards
- Using node create tool to benchmark and monitor Business Sites using Web Page Test API and display with React
- Define and implement internal coding standards
- Perform performance audits and carry out improvements on business and society sites
Photocrowd – Front-end Developer – 03/2016 – 08/2016
- Creating new components and pages using React/Relay and Less from Photoshop designs
- Implementing Webpack into the development process to allow for code modularity, linting, and writing future JS (ES2015) code with Babel
- Applying BEM code methodology for new CSS components
Electric Studio – Front-end WordPress Developer – 01/2013 – 02/2016
- I created highly customised WordPress sites from Photoshop designs, with custom post-types, taxonomies, meta boxes, shortcodes and functions.
- The focus was to make the site maintainable by the client so everything is manageable without knowing how to code.
- The sites were performant, using best practices and technologies, built within budget and in timeframes.
- Pre-launch client training, dealing with any client feedback via Basecamp or telephone
HeathWallace Ltd – Creative developer – 08/2010 – 01/2013
- I built highly accessible websites using valid cross-browser tested CSS and HTML for clients including HSBC, RBS and Grant Thornton
- Using CMSs such as WordPress, CQ5 and Sitecore to allow the client to control all content on their site
- Implementing UI functionality utilising in-house jQuery plugins
- Excellent communication with designers, project managers, and fellow dev team members
- Knowledge Sharing through weekly masterclass sessions (I ran three : WordPress; CSS3; and Sass)
Here are a selection of the sites, app and browser extensions that I have made:
- Serene App – Productivity Application for MacOS users using Electron, Firebase, React and nodejs.
- Serene Chrome Extension using React, socket.io, Firebase and WebExtensions API.
- brokernotes.co – turn into Progressive Web App (PWA) and add new features with React, the WordPress Rest API and WordPress.
- ventureharbour.com – turn into Progressive Web App (PWA) and add new features.
- photocrowd.com – front-end development with React/Relay, Less, and webpack
- electrichosting.net – WordPress site using ACF Pro so any part of the site was manageable by the client
- allistergodfrey.com – custom responsive WordPress site with many interactive features, galleries, and css transitions
- ojwmanagement.com – single page responsive WordPress site with flexbox, responsive images, and SVG
- blog.oup.com – responsive WordPress blog for Oxford University Press
- isobelweddings.com – beautiful responsive Wedding Planner WordPress site
- epf.cc – responsive single page WordPress site
- github.com/bigandy – my GitHub account
- andrewhudson.dev – This site - powered currently by Eleventy using data exported from my old WordPress site. PostCSS for the CSS.
- Codepen: personal and work
- Masters CIW Web Designer
- MChem (hons) Chemistry – University of Manchester