I am a full-stack software engineer with 11+ years experience creating highly performant and usable products, websites, desktop applications and browser extensions.
- TypeScript, JS, CSS, CSS-in-JS and Node
- React, GraphQL and Apollo
- Firebase firestore and serverless functions
- Electron and Browser Extensions
- Gatsby, Next.js, and Eleventy
- Modular Components using Storybook to document and test
Venture Harbour – Software Engineer – 10.2017 – Present
- Webapp development with Nextjs, GraphQL and Typescript.
- Desktop Application and Browser Extension development with React, nodejs, web-sockets, and Firebase.
- Styling with CSS Modules, CSS-in-JS, and scss, and implementation of a design system using Storybook.
- Created multiple PWA using custom WordPress logic and Workbox.
- Peer review and test colleagues code
- Optimise Performance of each of our sites and products and automate testing and CI for each - deployment.
- Internal conference presentations to colleagues.
Taylor & Francis – Web Developer – 10.2016 – 09.2017
- I created custom performant WordPress and Expression Engine sites
- I hand-crafted a node tool to benchmark and monitor Business Sites using the Web Page Test API and display with React
- Perform performance audits and carry out improvements on business and society sites
Photocrowd – Front-end Developer – 03.2016 – 08.2016
- Creating new components and pages using React/Relay and Less from Photoshop designs
- Implementing Webpack into the development process to allow for code modularity, linting, and writing future JS (ES2015) code with Babel
- Applying BEM code methodology for new CSS components
Electric Studio – Front-end WordPress Developer – 01.2013 – 02.2016
- I created highly customised WordPress sites from Photoshop designs, with custom post-types, taxonomies, meta boxes, shortcodes and functions.
- The sites were performant, using best practices and technologies, built within budget and in timeframes.
- Pre-launch client training, dealing with any client feedback via Basecamp or telephone
HeathWallace Ltd – Creative developer – 08.2010 – 01.2013
- I built highly accessible websites for clients including HSBC, RBS and Grant Thornton
- Using CMSs such as WordPress, CQ5 and Sitecore to allow the client to control all content on their site
- Knowledge Sharing through weekly masterclass sessions (I ran three : WordPress; CSS3; and Sass)
Here are a selection of the sites, app and browser extensions that I have made:
- TrueNorth - marketing web app (currently in beta) using Nextjs, Typescript, GraphQL, Apollo and Prisma.
- Serene App – Productivity Application for MacOS users using Electron, Firebase, React and nodejs. and companion Browser Extensions
- Serene Chrome Extension using React, socket.io, Firebase and WebExtensions API.
- brokernotes.co – turn into Progressive Web App (PWA) and add new features with React, the WordPress Rest API and WordPress.
- ventureharbour.com – turn into Progressive Web App (PWA) and add new features.
- photocrowd.com – front-end development with React/Relay, Less, and webpack
- github.com/bigandy – my GitHub account
- andrewhudson.dev – This site - powered currently by Eleventy using data exported from my old WordPress site. PostCSS for the CSS.
- Codepen: personal and work
- Masters CIW Web Designer
- MChem (hons) Chemistry – University of Manchester