I am a senior software engineer with 12+ years experience creating custom products, websites, desktop applications, and browser extensions.
- Creation of modular reusable components using React, Lit and Svelte
- Next.js, TypeScript, and GraphQL
- Astro, Eleventy, and WordPress
- Solid understanding of Figma and other design tools
- Website Performance Optimisation
- Web app development with CSS-in-JS, Next.js, GraphQL and Typescript.
- Break down problems into solutions and solutions into tasks, creating prototypes before jumping in to the work.
- Electron Application and Browser Extension development.
- I mentored the rest of the engineering team on front-end topics regularly producing demos and presentations on what I made and learned
- I created custom performant WordPress and Expression Engine sites.
- I hand-crafted a node tool to benchmark and monitor Business Sites using the Web Page Test API and display with React.
- Perform performance audits and carry out improvements on business and society sites.
- Creating new components and pages using React/Relay and Less from Photoshop designs.
- Implementing Webpack into the development process to allow for code modularity, linting, and writing future JS (ES2015) code with Babel.
- Applying BEM code methodology for new CSS components.
- I created highly customised WordPress sites from Photoshop designs, with custom post-types, taxonomies, meta boxes, shortcodes and functions.
- The sites were performant, using best practices and technologies, built within budget and in timeframes.
- Pre-launch client training, dealing with any client feedback via Basecamp or telephone.
- I built highly accessible websites for clients including HSBC, RBS and Grant Thornton.
- Using CMSs such as WordPress, CQ5 and Sitecore to allow the client to control all content on their site.
- Knowledge Sharing through weekly masterclass sessions (I ran three : WordPress; CSS3; and Sass).
Here is a selection of the sites, app and browser extensions that I have made:
- Web Components November 2022 - a Web Component a day project with Lit.
- TrueNorth - a marketing web app using NextJS, Typescript, GraphQL, Apollo, Prisma, with a Material-UI based component library.
- MergeCoin - a proof of concept Github based team productivity app that incentivizes and rewards PR code and reviews. Tailwind, NextJS, Github API.
- Serene App – Productivity Application for MacOS users using Electron, Firebase, and React. With companion Chrome Extension
- ventureharbour.com – turn into Progressive Web App (PWA) and add new features.
- photocrowd.com – front-end development with React/Relay, Less, and webpack
- allistergodfrey.com – custom responsive WordPress site with many interactive features, galleries, and css transitions
- ojwmanagement.com – single page responsive WordPress site with flexbox, responsive images, and SVG
- blog.oup.com – responsive WordPress blog for Oxford University Press
- github.com/bigandy – my GitHub account
- andrewhudson.dev – This site - built using 11ty.
- Personal Codepen
- Hoof-it Chrome Extension / Firefox add-on
- MChem (hons) Chemistry – University of Manchester
- Mountain Biking
- Movies with Family and Friends
- Graphic Design and Printing